Wednesday 26 October 2011

smiling with numbers...

ni hao ma?  Ok so yes, I am still on the 'very' basics of this wonderful Chinese language but it makes me smile so that is a good thing yes?  Hai ke yi ;-)  pretty good!



Moving onto numbers now... :-)  yi, er, san, si, wu, liu, qi, liu, ba, jiu, shi...learning the numbers and reading telephone numbers in Chinese was a pretty difficult task - erm, my braces made it extremely difficult :-)#) kind of like a Chinese Tongue Twister - my giggling certainly made my teacher laugh and smile of course :-)

So, keeping with the numbers theme this time...

I went along to the cinema to see 'One Day''.  A friend passed me the book early last year and I loved it.  It made me smile and laugh but I didn't remember it making me cry!  Gosh the film had me sobbing :,(  it's ok though, I'm definitely one of those girly-girls who love to cry at movies.  Hey, I even cried at the end of 'Real Steal' - much to the utter embarassment of my boys!



So, One Day...published in 2009, over 400,000 copies sold and translated into 31 languages.  I was certainly unsure about going to see the film - as I'm always the first to say "but the book was better!"  The film though was pretty good although than Anne Hathaway's 'poor' Yorkshire accent had me a little annoyed.  I should have done the voice over - heck I should have played Emma Morley ;-)  My Mr Man did not like :-(  but if your hubby or boyfriend owes you a trip to the movies to see 'your choice', or if you just want a really soppy 'switch off the day' movie, then I recommend 3 out of 5 ;-)
Bellabox still making me smile :-) Yes, reward points - I've got 200 just for ordering this box of goodies, 15 points for every month I receive my goodie box and 5 points for every review I post on the goodies within my Bbox!  So, with 100 points equalling S$10 in their online store, I will soooo be ordering some full size goodies ;-)

More about numbers but now less smiley :-( Following on from the recent trip to Changi Prison with my boys, I did a little research and found some interesting facts, figures and general crime information that should relate to the low crime rate of Singapore.  Singapore has the highest per capita rate of executions in the world - next being Saudi Arabia.  In the last 13 years more than 400 people have been hanged.  In the last 40 years just 6 appeals for clemency were successful.  The death penalty was made mandatory in Singapore in 1975 for murder and drug traffickers.  It is shocking though that since the beginning of 2011 five bodies have been dragged from the Bedok Reservoir - but are they murders or suicides?

OK, moving on swiftly and back to some more smiles :-) 

Doga or Yoga for dogs...

An article in my local paper last week telling of these yoga classes for dogs.  The classes are intended to help dogs find their inner peace and take the canines through a series of exercises and positions designed to improve their heart and digestion.  Yes, it really did make me smile :-)  Anyone tried this with their canine friends?  I think it would be a lot of fun :-D

Lastly, I'm wishing all a Happy Deepavali :-) This very special Indian festival which translates as 'row of lights' and is the 'festival of lights' is celebrated today, and here in Singapore our neighbours are dining on yummy food, lighting candels and lighting up their homes.  Diwali ki Shubhkamnayein (दिवाली की शुभकामनाएं):


;-) our neighbours made this very pretty artwork in the lobby ;-)

kisses 'n' smiles from me xx ;-)







1 comment:

  1. Well, at least there's logic in number 1, 2 and 3. After that it seems like you can do what ever you like :-)

    ReplyDelete