Wednesday 23 November 2011

Dear Expat Wife...

Are you a Trailing Spouse or a Princess in Paradise?




Wiki explains 'the trailing spouse' and I found this a real interesting read. I especially like the info relating to some research into the trailing spouse phenomenon. 

Wiki does not explain 'princess in paradise' :-D  But, yes, it does make me smile :-)




So, is an expat wife really a princess?  We're all still taking on the roles of homemaker, mummy, loving wife and are 'attempting' to do the following;

keep kids happy,
keep kids up to date with school and home work,
keep husband happy,
keep ourselves happy, healthy 'n' sane,
make ourselves thin - a bit irrelevant but we all do it! :-)

Doing all of the above (and more) without the help of family and close friends.  Trying to succeed and help our kids cope with the emotional challenge of understanding why we live (sometimes) at the other side of the world.  Telling the kids;

No, Grandparents aren't able to pop around;
midweek for babysitting and playtime
or for lunch on Sunday, 
Yes, of course, their new school and
new friends will (eventually) begin to feel 'right'

There is also the thoughts to Grandparents...is it really fair that a Grandparent should only see their grandchildren twice a year (maximum)? Is it really fair that grandchildren should only see their Grandparents twice a year?  Our children are having a good life, great schooling, lots of attention, coming home from school and swimming but are they missing out on a 'proper' family life?   I quote my Mum here "I have a deep felt heart ache at seeing my only daughter and her grandchildren just twice a year".


Yes, the emotional cost of being an 'expat family' est énorme! 


So, am I the 'Trailing Spouse'?

No, I'm not, thank you! I don't like the sound of either 'trailing' or 'spouse'! I didn't 'trail' anywhere behind my husband, we made a joint decision to come to Singapore and I'm not 'trailing' in the footsteps of his career either. I'm sure there are a lot more expat wives out there who totally agree that moving abroad is a decision based on the family as an whole and not just steps up Mr Man's career ladder.


So, no trailing spouse here - now that does make me smile :-)

Finally then, "am I the Princess in Paradise?"
Well, if the Jimmy Choo fits - yep, I'll wear it
and feel like a Princess xx :-)

Dear Expat Wife - for your pain, you surely deserve the gain, right!

If your days turn less smiley then check this link out expat wives prayer I guarantee it will make a sad face turn up into a smile :-)  You are not alone...


My Prince charming is in Thailand right now but he's taking this Princess to Hong Kong at the weekend :-)  I'll check in to tell you how Hong Kong is.


Kisses 'n' smiles from me xx :-)

1 comment:

  1. I found this article...it makes me think and smile :-) kind of reminds me of a book I read a while ago 'culture shock - a wife's guide' ... all expat wives need to know they are not alone in their thoughts and feelings. http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/4190553/Do-expat-wives-have-all-the-fun.html

    ReplyDelete